Interact with experts or simply hang out with fellow students!  


What is the fee and course duration of CPA ?

Hi every one,\nI wanted detailed information on CPA from US...\n1) The State which i need to choose\n2) The cost of doing the course\n3) The duration of the course\n4) Whether i need to write my exams in US or can i write it in India\n5) I have also completed my Chartered Accountancy course from India... will it add any credit for doing CPA ( like exemptions from subjects or internships )\n6) Examination precedure etc etc etc\n\nThanks in advance !!!


Shiksha Counselors 4 years ago
The minimum educational requirement to sit for the U.S. CPA exam is generally a four year university degree. Most states require 150 university semester hours before you can sit for the CPA exam. You can not take the U.S. CPA examination outside the U.S. It is offered only in the U.S.A. Once you have passed the exam in one state you can transfer to another state. You will have to meet the education and experience requirements of the new state, but normally you are given credit for having already passed the CPA exam. The CPA certificate is not directly comparable to the articles of a chartered accountant. A chartered accountant who wishes to have a U.S. CPA certificate must take the exam to become a U.S. CPA. The only exception is a special examination for members of the Canadian Institute of Chartered Accountants (CICA), the Institute of Chartered Accountants in Australia (ICAA), CPA Australia, the Institute of Chartered Accountants in Ireland (ICAI) and the Instituto Mexicano De Contadores Publicos (IMCP). The National Association of State Boards of Accountancy (NASBA) web site has information on the IQEX examination. Most states allow you to download their CPA exam application forms over the Internet in PDF form using the free Adobe Acrobat reader. Some states do not require that you be a resident of the state or a U.S. citizen to earn a CPA certificate issued by that state. These states are: Alaska, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Illinois, Kentucky, Maryland, Massachusetts, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, South Carolina, South Dakota, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Washington and Wisconsin. In some states you can become a CPA with NO employment time if you have a master's degree. These states are Colorado, Florida, Iowa, Maryland, North Dakota, Oklahoma, and Puerto Rico. Some states only credit time worked for a public accounting firm. Other states allow you to satisfy the experience requirement with employment by a corporation or government agency. Some states will grant a CPA certificate w
1 0  
Know a better answer? Click here to post.
Shiksha Counselors 5 years ago
Hi, the Uniform CPA Examination is the exam that one must pass to qualify for licensure as Certified Public Accountants in any of the 55 U.S. jurisdictions (50 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands, Guam, and the Commonwealth of Northern Mariana Islands).
Requirements to take the CPA exam, as well as other policies and procedures vary from state to state. Although Examination eligibility requirements vary from one jurisdiction to another, a Masters Degree, with major in accounting, is generally required and some may require prior industry experience. To obtain information about the requirements in effect in a particular jurisdiction, visit the Board of Accountancy website of the appropriate state or territory. Links to all Board of Accountancy websites are available at http://www.nasba.org/nasbaweb.nsf/exam.

About the choice of state, you may decide the state depending on where you would like to work as CPA.

Although the Indian degree is not recognized there, there are some exemptions offered in some of the papers for ICAI students which are listed at the ICAI home website.

Fees also vary from one jurisdiction to another. For information about fees in a specific state or territory, visit the appropriate Board of Accountancy website. Links to all Board of Accountancy websites are available at http://www.nasba.org/nasbaweb.nsf/exam.

The CPA Examination is offered only in U.S. jurisdictions.
About duration of the course, candidate has to pass four sections of CPA exam (Auditing and Attestation (AUD), Business Environment and Concepts (BEC), Financial Accounting and Reporting (FAR), Regulation (REG)). Once candidates pass one Examination section, most boards allow 18 months for passing the remaining three sections. You should refer to the requirements of the boards for the rules that will apply.

You may visit the website (www.cpa-exam.org) and Shiksha link http://tinyurl.com/yheqhlo
for more information about CPA exam. All the best!
1 1  
Know a better answer? Click here to post.
payal patel01 3 years ago
i have completed b.com.also completed m.b.a from icfai from india.and i want to do cpa.now i will settle in u.s.a new york.what is the duration,and fees of cpa.and what is the future in india.cpa person what get salary intially in u.s.a.plz plz reply me at my email id patelpayal01@gmail.com.
0 0  
CPA Champs visit www.cpachamps.com for CPA exam and career in the USA
3 years ago
Know a better answer? Click here to post.

Didn't find the right answer? Ask your own Question

0 out of 140 characters